Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lunch Muffins-Ideas Wanted

Anyone who knows me knows that I stay up late searching online for fun and creative ideas/things to share with my children. They will also know that once I get an idea in my head I become obsessed.

It all began one evening when everyone was sleeping I started searching preschool lunches. After an hour searching americanized bento lunches (and starting to feel like a lesser parent than some of these mothers, seriously check them out) I stumbled on the blog, Sycamore Stirrings, and found what she declared "Muffin Tin Mondays". What a great concept - large variety in small quantities, filling each of the 12 muffin cups with a different item. Although I thought this was a great idea it posed a great problem for me, for one, my tins look like I may have excavated them up from a dig and two,I am not sure if I have 12 items in my pantry available at anytime for lunch. But needless to say, it got me thinking.

I already serve lunch in cafeteria style divided plates since it does help me serve 5 different items (hopefully touching on some of the food groups besides graham crackers). Wouldn't it be great to make actual lunch muffins that would fit perfectly on my plate in perfect portions!!!! and if I ever venture to the store to purchase new muffin pans I would be able to simply reheat, pop them in a hole and serve.

Now for the obsession - finding recipes. After hours of "research" and some personal thoughts I have only come up with the following:
Sausage Pepperoni Pizza Muffins
Corn Dog Muffins (the pics I found online did not look so good but I am not under the age of 4)
Mini Meatloaf
Mini Shepherd's Pie
Barbeque Beef Cups

We have tried the Sausage Pepperoni Pizza's and the kids loved them. They were perfect. Made a bunch and froze them in individual freezer bags and just popped them in the oven for 15 minutes to reheat. Economical, quick, healthyish lunch!!!!

But since my search is not going so well I am extending my plea to any bloggers that stumble upon my little part of the universe...does anyone have any recipes they would like to share or any ideas? In the mean time, I am going to start making the ones I have and share my reviews with you.

I think it could be a great way to use up leftovers, take advantage of sales and use up all those biscuit coupons.

No comments: